What’s The Story Others Will Tell Of You

Today I attended the funeral of the father of three of my dear friends. These are friends who have been a part of my life for over 30 years. There is not a lot I don’t know about their family and their history. They are a very gregarious family who loves to live life to the fullest, loves to surround themselves with friends and loves to tell stories.

The evening before the funeral friends and family gathered at a local bar to celebrate the life of the family patriarch and to share stories of his colorful life. There were no shortage of tales, laughs and tears.

At times like that you can’t help but think – what are the stories people will someday tell about me?

How we live our lives and the impact that we have on the world and people we inhabit it with will live on long after we have gone. We have the opportunity and the responsibility to make it a life worthy of great stories.

Several years ago I received a message from a fortune cookie that read, “How do I want to remember this?” That question has been a guide for me when making decisions. It has caused me to stop and think about the actions that I take or don’t take, the friends that I make or let go of, and the experiences that I create for myself and others.

If I am creating my life in a manner that I will be proud to reflect on and remember, then perhaps others will be someday be rewarded with a great story to tell.

What is the story you want others to tell of you? It’s time to create that story.

18 Responses to What’s The Story Others Will Tell Of You

1. Sonya says:

This is so true, how will others remember us and talk about us? It’s something to think about.

2. Being proud f how one takes on life is important. great job today! p

3. This is a great reminder! Thanks for sharing! Popped over from DIY Blog Wednesday :)

4. Pam says:

This is true, we tell our story everyday. The things we do and how you treat someone. People are always watching you and most important the Lord is. It’s something to think about.

5. Beth Niebuhr says:

I hope that people will celebrate rather than mourn me when I die! I hope they will remember the good times we had together and have some laughs. Nice article!

6. I’m sorry for your loss and for your friends’ loss. Remember that you cannot control how others speak about you; you can only control your own actions, attitudes and decisions. Sounds like you’re well on your way to making a difference in the world.

7. Sundi Jo says:

I hope my story says, “Her actions spoke louder than her words,” and “She made me want to be more like Jesus.:

8. Anna Langa says:

Great reminder, thank you! I wish to make a difference in this world so it is time to start working on it rather than wasting time on not important matters.

9. Yakini says:

This is very heart wrenching, thank you for sharing.

10. Kae Whitaker says:

I really really like this. I ask that question all the time, if someone had to tell my story right now to a stranger what would it be, and that is what helps me to guide my actions. Thanks for sharing.

11. Heather says:

I am sorry for your loss. I enjoy the tv shows where someone is at their own fake funeral (Victoria Chase on Hot in Cleveland, Sofia on the Golden Girls) and I always wonder what will be said about me when it’s my time (in many many many years– lol).

12. Edmund says:

Such a worthy endeavor there Sheri and one which I think about each day as I go about my work. It’s true, if only each of us would go through our lives with that thought in mind…oh how that would impact what we do in every facet of our life.

• Sheri says:

Thanks Edmund, for me it just keeps me moving in a direction that I know will make me proud. What others think and say, I can’t control, but if I live my life in a way that I’m proud of I have good shot at leaving a positive legacy behind someday – many, many, many years from now:)

13. That’s something a lot of people don’t think about. Everyone wants to be remembered in a good way

14. Sorry about your friend Sheri, it will always be hard to bury those we love. But, it is clear that you learn a great lesson from it and were able to remember him the right way…and had a great time with family.

So true, I often wonder what people think of me and how I am leaving my footprints in the sand, mostly with my children, how they are as grown adults and if I did everything I could. Very powerful story Sheri, thanks for sharing!

15. Clive says:

Sorry to hear about your loss. It is times like that that we do reflect on life and what it all means. Thanks for the reminder.

16. I call it leaving a legacy. What will it be??? It really is something to think about…